Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What's in a name?

I had something funny happen at the store yesterday and wanted to share it, though I don't think it is going to come out as funny as it was... but I thought I would give it a shot anyway.

I was at the grocery store with Piper, it was one of those stores with the "car shopping carts" that are difficult to maneuver. I think you have to picture the checker to find the humor in this, because this guy took his job SERIOUSLY! He was the 'brother from da' hood' guy that looked like he was from New York, but was super-super friendly. I had gotten myself into a position in the check-out line that I could not easily get around the cart, when Piper decided to run off giggling toward the front doors.

I didn't realize I was looking in the general direction of the bagger when, out of frustration and lack of options I growled (yes, I growled) and called out in a somewhat irritated voice "PIPER!".... much to my surprise the checker (who was just finishing up the entire order) quickly turned to the poor, shocked, bagger guy and hollered for the whole store to hear "Paper! Get this lady paper bags!!!"- as people started staring, I quickly apologized and explained as my friend behind me tried to keep her hysterical laughter at a minimum.

5 comments:

Just Monkeyin' Around said...

Those are the moments when you just want to crawl under a rock and hide...I have had many a moment like that with Rady:) Little monsters-gotta love em'!!!

Amanda, Jack, Corban, Gabe, Chloe, and Rigby said...

Ha! what a riot. and no, it wasn't a "you had to be there" moment, no worries, I could totally picture it.

Unknown said...

Love the story! It still cracks me up!

kieran said...

Oh Marie, that's a good one. Funny, I almost named my last post the same as yours. But then I wrote it and went back to change the title. It was a little strange to see yours as the title. Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

I still like to call Piper, my little Princess Piper! Love, Nann