Friday, October 24, 2008

Perspective

Last Wednesday was a long day. Piper did not get enough sleep the night before, and after the public temper tantrums, and strong little will... I was FINISHED with her when early bed time finally arrived. Because I felt so frustrated with her, it seemed to bring out the best of my worries and I spent all day feeling sorry for myself and fuming over life in general.

The never ending bills. The Insurance plan that does not cover as much as we are told. The pain I feel for Rebekah when she has troubles at school. Feeling overwhelmed at the task of raising my children in this day and age. And other worries that constantly run through my mind.

I spent the evening whining to my Mom on the phone.

When I got up Thursday morning, I decided that Piper and I needed a big morning of fun. We went to the park and fed ducks, played at the playground, ran through the water, rode the tricycle, and went down scary slides together (I even have the battle scars from the slide) Then we picked up a couple of 'In and Out Burger' chocolate shakes on our way home.

After Rebekah came home from school I got to talking with a neighbor and friend. We have known them for over a year and they seem to have it together. The type of people that you might look at their car and think... "wow, I wish I could afford a car like that." You know what I mean, the whole "grass is greener on the other side" story.

I got to talking with that neighbor and we ended up talking for a few hours. She needed to talk about her problems. Financial problems. Health problems. And Marital problems. It isn't that I was surprised that someone might have these problems, it was just a surprise coming from someone who seemed to 'have life together', and the heavy load that must be on her right now. She expressed to me her desire to have some of the things that I do. Things that I may take for granted at times.

A husband who is caring and patient with me, who also has a strong work ethic and takes care of our family needs. Healthy children. A vehicle that I own, not the bank. Good medical insurance, and stable employment.

That evening I was feeling like I had been un-grateful for what I have in my life. I listened to the song "Blessed" by Martina McBride and it always gets me a little teary eyed. It was a good reminder to me that "The Jones'" next door.... really don't have it all.














7 comments:

Tina said...

I think we all need reminders like that sometimes. thanks for sharing it.

Romy said...

It's great that you have your mom to talk to and a good husband that really cares for his family. Money cannot buy either of those two things and they are both very important when raising a family. We all worry at times, buy I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job.

Joyce said...

Marie, you are awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

steph said...

Marie.. cute photos... and thank you so much for sharing! Life can really be trying and difficult at times. When I get overwhelmed.. J always says.. don't try to eat the whole elephant at once.. take it one day at a time.. sometimes it seems that is all we can do. You are soo blessed to have such a beautiful family and to have such a great spirit about you. I hope to meet you in person one of these days!! Love ya,
~steph

Amanda, Jack, Corban, Gabe, Chloe, and Rigby said...

totally true wherever you are and whatever you're up to right? There's always someone that we wouldn't want to trade shoes with because they have it worse off. And plus-you've got in and out burger??? You're like the queen of cool in my book now! (jack's family teases me because of the fact that every time we're out there I HAVE to have in and out at least once)

Dee said...

Marie, that was so great that you shared that with us. I think we all have those thoughts often in our own walk in life. Sometimes it feels like your getting dumped on and can't figure it out. You do have an awesome family and you are a great person! Way to make a day of something when you were down. Wish I had the weather right now to go threw water!! Where is the duck pond? That is awesome. Have a safe and happy Halloween. When your out there trick or treating in the nice weather just think of us up North!!:)

Anonymous said...

Jeremy and Marie, you are awesome! Just a note to let you know We Love You and the girls.
Love, Mom and Dad