Sunday, May 31, 2009



This morning as we were getting ready for the day, Rebekah looked at me and said "Mom, you've been crabby a lot. Yesterday and today you are crabby. You need to stop being so crabby." Well, my honest girl is right, I do need to stop being so crabby. I've done a pretty good job the past few days about not talking about my feelings and keeping my emotions inside (well, except for the "crabby" part). Jeremy listened for a long while today about what has been on my mind and it did help to talk and remember. Jeremy and the one other patient person I dumped my thoughts on, suggested blogging about it. When I blog, I can put my emotions in writing and it is healing.

On Wednesday night I learned that a friend I knew from High school had been killed in a helicopter accident while serving in the Army. Bryce had an unforgettable personality that left an impression on, I think, everyone he came in contact with. He treated everyone like a good friend and could always make you laugh. I have had a hard time accepting that he is done with his time on this earth. I am so happy that I had the opportunity to know him, and my heart breaks for his family. I feel like he had so much more he could have done in this life, so many more people he could have touched, but I know he has work in Heaven.

I am so greatful for the sacrifices made by the members of our armed forces, and also for their families that sacrifice so much. Ordinary men and women that do extraordinary things every day for the freedoms I have. I don't thank them enough. I don't thank my own family members enough. Thank you for what you sacrifice for myself and my family.

I can not be there when Bryce's body will be returned to Idaho, but I will have a flag outside that day for him. I would hope that those living in the Pocatello area would put one outside on that day as well.

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same." -Anon.

6 comments:

Tina said...

It is always hard when we hear of someone our own age passing. It is a lovely blog post Marie

Krista said...

Chad knew this soilder as well. Chad went to Jr. High with him. I know it has affected him as well. Your post was wonderful.

Krista said...

This is Chad. Krista showed me this post and I think it is beautiful. Bryce was/is awesome! (small world, huh?) Your emotion touches me. I also saw you on Josh Stuart's group on facebook paying tribute to Bryce.

kieran said...

Marie I am so glad you decided to post about your friend. Your post was great and I know in a way you were able to release some of that frustration you have been feeling. Maybe you won't be crabby anymore:). I sure love you and think you are wonderful. Thanks can never be enough for all the little conversations we have while others are sleeping.

Joyce said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. I read about him in the newspaper. It was nice to read more about him in your blog to be able to know what kind of person he was.

Jdawgmcneill said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. It is so nice to know that he is in a better place doing work on the other side.