Friday, May 22, 2009

A Wonderfully Gray Way to Start Summer!!!


It must be the fact that Phoenix has an estimated 350 days of sunshine per year that gets me really in a great mood when I wake up to a gray and gloomy sky! Especially when that gray sky lasts for the ENTIRE wonderful day!!! I never thought I would seriously see a rainy day affect my mood so much for the better, or say that 85 degrees is too cold to go swimming.... but I do!

Generally if we wake up to a gray sky, it is because a monsoon came through the night, and you can guarantee that the sun will be shining in a blue sky by lunch time.... but OH how I love my wet, drippy, muddy, sweet smelling days of drizzly rain that visit only a few times a year!

Yesterday AND today, we were able to have some of that drizzly weather- and since it was Rebekah's last day of school today, we spent as much of the day outside as possible, we also plan on doing it again tomorrow, at least until the temperatures go back to their normal burn your flesh off heat.

We spent some time at Bonnie's house today and as she and I stared at the neighbors' dead tree with the gray sky behind it, Bonnie pointed out how surreal it seemed to be sitting outside in such weather. She was right. I would stare at the tree and feel that I was almost enjoying a late October day in Idaho...... which for me was between enjoyable and a depressing reminder of the lack of seasonal changes.

Also, Piper and I were able yesterday to enjoy some brand new grass that was put in on our church's property. I already have a list of things I want to do over there this summer, including picnics and playing catch with the baseball. It was fun yesterday to just be able to sit in the grass while Piper ran, and ran, and ran.... and it is fenced in so I don't have to worry about her bolting on me, or the fast moving traffic on the street, or strange Mom's that don't watch their kids,...you know that kind of stuff that has instilled in me such a love of public parks. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to take my children to the fun play area at the park occasionally, it is just that I've had some unsavory experiences at public parks and I look forward to having a place to go that feels more like a backyard.

Anyway, I thought I would post some pictures of our revolt against the indoors and air conditioning..... hopefully we can have a couple more of these over the summer break!

3 comments:

Krista said...

It is so funny. I can't wait until it finally warms up enough to go outside. i think today might be 75 here

kieran said...

I love gray days too.
Isn't it funny that when it's cloudy you go outside, and on sunny days you stay inside?
It has been perfect weather here, and I have loved being outside with the kids.
On Sunday we played outside in the rain and splashed in the puddles and played in the gutter. It was tons of fun! I felt like a kid.
What am I talking about, I am a kid... at heart I guess.

NOne said...

I told you what it was like down here. You didn't believe me? Learn the hard way.
It's 9am and the AC has been running most of the night. Predicted for 103 today, which is a tad above normal for here but you know what I mean.
Now when it clouds up here I duck, it generally means violent weather here. I'll take sunny any day.

Love ya, (ex-Phoenician) Jim