Monday, May 18, 2009

A Run-by Forking


Well.... nothing new happened last weekend. Only the yearly May/June trip to the closest emergency facility to stitch my youngest daughter back together. It was like dejavu' Saturday as I drove to "Mendy's Place", the children's emergency center, up the road, with my girls and a couple stuffed animals buckled in the back seat.

In 2007 there was the old couch to blame. In 2008 it was the bathtub faucet. And Saturday..... it was the dinner fork! And why do I always forget to grab the camera when I'm heading Piper off to some medical office? I will try to leave out the gory details, but in short, we had just finished lunch when Rebekah was carrying her plate to the sink. She had her fork laying on the plate with prongs pointed upward and slightly off the edge of the plate... at about the level of Piper's upper lip. Well... Piper came tearing around the corner and met the fork head on. Ouch.

If Saturday's forking would have been elsewhere on the body, I might have put a butterfly bandage on it and called it happy.... but she always manages to take her lacerations to the face, and two out of three times, on the line of her lip where it would be quite a noticeable scar if not stitched.

After the annual stitching, Piper was able to pick a toy out to take home and keep. She chose a stuffed duck and has been carrying it around singing to it since then (Jeremy tells everyone that it's the $100.00 stuffed animal we bought her!) The E.R. insurance co-pay of course wasn't cheap, but lucky for us we were just reimbursed for an over charge on Jeremy's surgery last year, so that can go towards the co-payment for Piper's stitches now! Uh.... Hurray!?!?

3 comments:

Krista said...

Do they give you frequent flyer miles at the ER?

Tina said...

You poor soul. Do the ER nurses know you by name yet?? LOL.

Joyce said...

I remember when Glen got a black eye when he ran around the corner into the laser tag gun Amber was holding! I'm just glad the fork hit her on the mouth and not the eye!