Monday, March 30, 2009

A Bread Documentary

I wanted you all to know that something amazing happened in my kitchen on Friday! Homemade bread magically came out of my oven!

Okay, so it wasn't magic. But, it was almost like that in my mind, because I really had low expectations! When Jeremy and I were first married, I tried for the first time to make homemade bread. Unfortunately, I was clueless on how to do it and I waited a long time for the yeast on the warm water to do some amazing foaming action.... I waited hours and hours for something that only takes 5 minutes. I thought it would foam over the bowl or something great like that. As my friend Karli put it, I was waiting for the yeast fairy to visit... and she never did.

I don't know what exactly inspired me last week to take a second shot at homemade bread, but it probably had something to do with Karli talking me into it. It probably would have ended just like the first attempt, if I hadn't been able to call Karli and her Mom (who has a lot of experience at making bread and was SO helpful... I'm happy she was visiting Karli so she could talk to ME on the phone!)
Karli and her Mom were so helpful to answer my many questions such as.. -Do I really have to stir it only one direction? What will happen now that I accidentally pulled the spoon across in the opposite way??... or -When it says to use warm water, are we talking warm on the wrist water, or hot/warm water? They had such patience with me! =)


After a couple bad starts, I finally got something that looked like bread dough-




Next.... it needed to rise. When I didn't see that happening after an hour or more, I consulted my bread making support group (AKA: Karli and her Mom). Karli's Mom suggested that I put my dough into the pans and place them in a warm oven to rise- it worked like a charm! (she must have known something that I didn't!!!) =)

My first-timer lumpy loaves.... I'll get it down eventually!



Next, it was off to the HOT oven! At this point, they were turning out much better than I imagined they would and I was wishing I might have made more. I had split the recipe in half to only make two loaves because I really didn't expect anything edible to come out!



The finished product came out edible enough that the bread was all eaten up within about 24 hours. Rebekah gave me a thumbs up and told me "your homemade bread is delicious Mom, it tastes almost like the REAL thing!"..... I'm glad I can meet such high expectations! I bought a jar of yeast at the store today with plans for baking bread this weekend again... we'll see if I can do it without calling my support group every 10 minutes!!!

6 comments:

Karli said...

YAY! You did a great job. Want to come make bread for me today?

Joyce said...

Your bread looks beautiful! It's fun isn't it! I reaches down into some deep domestic spirit and makes us feel like real homemakers.

Krista said...

I love making bread! We don't buy the stuff from the store anymore. You can also use wheat in your recipe. Your bread looks great.

Tina said...

The bread looks fabulous Marie! I want some! I don't make bread anymore now that we live next to an AMAZING and CHEEP bakery! Mmmm.... bread... think I will go have a piece!

nann said...

You are awesome!! I think that you did a great job. The best part of doing something new is the memories that you have. And just think of your helpers and their memories. Keep up the good work. It looks like an A++ and the taste was probably out of this world. Love you all, Nann

Romy said...

It looks 'yummmmmy' as Emilia would say :)