The other day while desperately searching the cupboard for some stray piece of chocolate Christmas candy that might have rolled into a dark corner and sat there for the last 7 months (fact says that it has a year long shelf life!)... I concluded that there was no chocolate in my home (rare, but it happens.) I pulled out my favorite recipe for fudge that my friend and college roomie, Karli, gave to me years ago. This recipe has served me well in times of chocolate need and it is so simple to make with ingredients that are always at hand. I wanted to share the recipe (with permission, of course) for anyone who might be in need of a quick chocolate fix also:
3 3/4 Cups - powdered sugar
1/4 tsp.- salt
1/3 Cup - cocoa power
1/2 Cup (1 stick) - butter or margarine
1/4 Cup - milk (measure carefully)
1 Tbs. - vanilla extract
1 Cup - nutmeats or marshmallows (if desired)
Place sugar, salt, and cocoa in large bowl and set aside. Melt butter in saucepan, add milk and bring to a boil. Pour hot butter mixture over sugar mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Pour into 9x9 inch square pan that has been lined with foil. Chill for 1 hour in refrigerator. Cut into squares. Yield: 36 squares
This recipe is also fun to experiment with.... orange extract is very yummy in it and once I even put in root beer extract and boiled it to a caramel consistency trying to thicken it.... unfortunately I've never been able to re-do my tasty mistake. I hope someone enjoys this recipe as much as I do!
The other thing that has turned my thoughts toward chocolate today was the great thing that happened to me yesterday! I was folding the laundry and I found $3.00 in the pocket of my jeans.... there is only one thing better than finding three bucks in the laundry and that is.... frivolously spending it with your kids at the Caretta Candy Co.!!! YES!!!!! Of course, being the "responsible" (don't laugh) parent that I try to be.... I try and mix in some math/money lessons with our trip, but we all know the true reason in going. I put a slide show of pictures together of our visit today.
Last but not least, I would love to leave you all with just a little chocolate history and fun facts that I liked!
-During the Second World War, the U.S. Government commissioned Milton Hershey to create a candy bar to be included in soldier’s rations. The candy bar chosen was the famous Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar.
This was such a successful collaboration, Hershey Chocolate was called upon during the Persian Gulf War to create a chocolate bar that could withstand high temperatures.
The “Desert Bars” were included in the soldier’s daily rations and were also sold to consumers for use in survival kits.
(If anyone knows where I might be able to get these, please let me know!)
-In the 17th Century, the first recorded case of “Death by Chocolate” occurred.
In San Cristobal de las Casa, in Chiapas, Mexico, upper class Spaniards were so addicted to chocolate intake that they refused a church dictated ban forbidding consumption of drink or food during Mass.
In response, the townspeople refused to uphold this edict and chose to attend worship services in Convents.
The Bishop of Chiapas, who passed the edict, was found dead due to a mixture of poison that was secretly added to his daily cup of chocolate. Rumor has it that he passed from this world with a smile on his face.
This fact made me laugh, so I had to add it:
- Chocolate's melting point is just below your body temperature, so it melts in your mouth. Melting chocolate in your mouth raises brain activity and heart rate more intensely than kissing, and lasts four times longer!
-In 1960, Chocolate syrup was used to simulate blood in the famous shower scene in Alfred Hitchcock’s movie, “Psycho”. The scene, featuring Janet Leigh, took over seven days to shoot.
(personally, I've never watched the movie... but I'm sure it's lovely.)
I will leave you with a picture of the cutest little chocoholic I know! Until the next blog.... may the chocolate melt perfectly on your tongue, and always be plentiful in the cupboards.






5 comments:
You are choco-cocoa-loco (I thought of that myself). =)
Forget the dog...chocolate is man's best friend:)(or in our case woman's)
HAHA. You are too funny Marie!!! Now I want some CHOCOLATE!!!! Better go check my pants pockets for spare money to spend on chocolate!
And now we know why I ALWAYS had chocolate in the apt. 27 yrs ago. Mom's always know.
You always make me laugh, I love your blog! I too search my cupboards for stray candy.
Post a Comment